Hormone Replacement for Women in Edmond: Information You Can’t Act Without
A hormone is a chemical in the human body. Basically, our behaviors, reactions and reciprocations are controlled by hormones. When there is a problem with the hormones, certain changes take place in the body. To change the behaviors of a hormone, you can opt for hormone replacement. Progesterone, testosterone and estrogen are used for hormone replacement therapy, or HRT. HRT is not an instant thing. It takes times and proper medication. You can call Santé Clinic to set up an appointment and learn more about hormone replacement in Edmond, OK. But first, here are some basics:
Important Facts About Hormone Replacement Therapy in Women
- HRT effectively controls the symptoms of menopause, which include osteoporosis and hot flashes.
- HRT is an effective way to sustain your youth and slow down all the symptoms of aging.
- It is not risk-free, but researchers are continuing to do studies, and many conclude that the benefits outweigh the risks.
Areas of Hormonal Treatment
Progesterone and estrogen are the most important hormones in a woman’s body. These two hormones are associated with the reproductive system. The former is responsible for preparing the womb for eggs, and the latter helps release the eggs. With time, when our body ages, the cycle of demand and supply of the eggs stops, and here is where the changes start taking place. On average, women begin experiencing these changes in their 40s.
The three stages at which hormonal treatment is required are perimenopause, menopause and post-menopause. The duration of the first stage is three to 10 years, during which time women still menstruate while the changes are happening. Around the age of 51, women menstruate for the last time, and this is called menopause. The third stage is post-menopause. It starts one full year after menopause, and this is the point where the risk of osteoporosis is increased.
The Variations of HRT
Hormone replacement includes several combinations of hormones to meet the needs of the patient. Here are some of the common types of HRT:
- Women who have had a hysterectomy (where the womb, ovary or uterus is removed) do not need progesterone. In this case, estrogen-only HRT is needed.
- During the postmenopausal time, women need both estrogen and progesterone.
- To fight the urogenital problems, women need local estrogen treatment. This consists of vaginal tablets, rings and ointments.
- Long-cycle treatment causes withdrawal bleeds that occur every three months and is questionable in terms of safety.
- Women who have perimenopausal symptoms should undergo sequential HRT. In this case, a daily dose of estrogen and progesterone is prescribed for 14 days every 13 weeks.
Many women are interested in hormone replacement in Edmond, OK, but they often hesitate because of the considerable risk factors of HRT. Studies on hormone replacement have shown that the treatment is hazardous for our health and may even result in cancer. But newer research has proved this notion to be a myth. However, there are no conclusive reports yet. Therefore, it is suggested that before undergoing any treatment that can make so many changes in your body, you should consult a doctor for your welfare. After all, there is no reason to make yourself sick for the purpose of being healthy.